The LifeUp Mindfulness Challenge: Day 11
Perspective – time to get some
SPACE: Smile, Perspective, Appreciation and forgiveness, Connect, Emotions
P is for Perspective - Time to get some!
We can sometimes get so caught up in ourselves that we can lose perspective on a situation and/or our life.
‘Reframing’ our perspective is a great way to access our headspace. Reframing is very much like changing the frame on a picture - the situation hasn’t changed, but how you view it has.
Of course, It’s not about pretending that everything in your life is wonderful and perfect, it's about seeing the situation how it really is, rather than through our mental interpretations.
There are two broad approaches to reframing - content and visual reframing:
- Content reframing is achieved by proactively 'coaching' ourselves into perspective e.g. ‘What would I say to a friend who had this problem?’
- Visual reframing uses the sheer vastness of the natural world to provide space and to expand perspective.
Choose one or more of the following perspective techniques and give it a try!
Content Perspective Reframing:
Scan your mind for uncomfortable or repetitive thoughts and emotions. Ask yourself, ‘What is it that is bothering me today?’
- How will I feel about this problem in a month, a year, 10 years, 50 years?
- What would I say to a friend who had this problem?
- What would I do, if I only had a short time to live?
- What is the worst that could happen? Go with this thought. What would that look like? How would you recover? Would it really be so bad?
Visual Perspective reframing:
1) Look out the window and observe the scene, whether it's the vastness of the sky out of your train window, the busy people in the city or the scenery of your garden. Just look without thought for a moment. Or even, better step outside!
2) Visualise where you are now, then zoom out to see the building, then the street, the city, the country, the continent, the entire earth, then the universe. Stay there in the vast nothingness. Pause.
If you did the exercise, give yourself a ‘mini high five’!
Remember, life is full of ups and downs. By changing the way we look at things we can gain perspective and uncover our headspace