The LifeUp Mindfulness Challenge: Day 17
Observe your behaviour – It’s not what you do, but how you do it!
FLOW: Focus, Listen, Observe, Watch
O is for OBSERVE – it’s not what you do, but how you do it!
As well as listening to our body, we can also observe our behaviour to check if we are in the flow.
Behaviours such as judging, complaining and resenting are sure signs we are not in a state of 'flow'. In addition, these behaviours serve to build and reinforce the self-image further feeding unhelpful 'thought chatter'.
Use your behaviour as alerts that you are not paying attention to your present moment, that you are not fully 'in the flow'. Refocus on what you are doing right now. If the behaviour persists, you need to DISARM unhelpful thoughts, take a ‘Thought Break’ and/or create some SPACE.
Remember that from a state of presence things are much less likely to bother you, which allows you to maintain your headspace and focus time and energy on what is important in your life.
Observe your thoughts and behaviour:
- Are you judging, complaining resenting or overly comparing?
- Are you distracted, forgetting how you got somewhere or why you went there?
- Are you battling through what you are doing?
- Is the present moment an obstacle to get through?
- Are you behaving as if you are superior/inferior to others?
- When you are made to wait for something are you getting agitated?
- Are you excessively consuming - food, drink, TV, possessions?
- When you meet someone, what do you focus on? Do you immediately focus on their flaws and allow those imperfections to magnify in your awareness? Put your attention on the person’s finer qualities, and allow appreciation of those aspects to strengthen and develop.
If you answered all the questions, congratulations! Give yourself a ‘mini high five’!
Notice your behaviour. Use negative mental states (such as judging, complaining, resenting) as alerts that you are not fully present in the moment in a state of 'flow'. DISARM any unhelpful thoughts driving this behaviour.